If you have a vision for your business, and any kind of detailed business plan you may be wondering why you need a marketing strategy as well. You know what you are doing, your business is growing, you’ve got leaflets and a website, so what else can a marketing plan give you?
But here’s the point – all successful businesses have a marketing strategy that makes everything they do more effective. A marketing strategy should give you clarity and document in one place the answer to many of the big questions about your business.
Here are six reasons you need a marketing strategy for your business:
- The strategy details your core messages by product, service and sector. Spending time upfront planning your key business messages means you will be able to clearly articulate the features and benefits of your product or service. This leads to consistency throughout all your customer communication and means your customers know exactly what you offer and what you stand for.
- Your consistent messages mean you know what you want to say on your website, leaflet, newsletter before you commission it. This results in fewer changes down the line, and less time and cost incurred.
- Your marketing strategy will define clearly who your ideal customers are and why they buy from you. Thinking strategically about who your customers are will help you decide which tactics to use to reach them. This should lead to better decision making around how to spend your marketing budget, and not wasting money on adverts your customers won’t see.
- If you have a great team, but you need to make sure they “get it”, your marketing strategy will help. It should include details of how you are going to get your team on board with your business. This is even more critical in a practice or service based business where your team are the main point of contact with your customer.
- If you haven’t put your prices up for a long time and you are not quite sure if you should, a marketing strategy will help you define your approach to pricing your different products or service.
- If you’ve been trying different marketing activity and you aren’t quite sure what is working, your marketing strategy should help you evaluate your activity and use the results to plan your next campaign.
Your marketing strategy is the thing that gets you planning for the future, rather than fire fighting. It doesn’t have to be perfect and it will change, but having a document which guides your decisions can only benefit your business.
Bondfield Marketing offers a number of Marketing Strategy Packages, from a full 9 stage marketing strategy to a short brainstorming meeting. Contact me to talk about which option is right for your business.